Advanced search

Bangkok > Marriage > Marriage in Thailand >

Marriage in Thailand


If you are planning to get married in Thailand, you must obtain an "affirmation of freedom to marry" document to the Thai authorities. The affirmation must be made in person at the Consular Section of the Luxembourg Embassy in Bangkok. Please note that the Thai authorities do not celebrate marriage between people of the same sex.

First, you shall comply with all the procedures of your country of residence prior to celebrate the wedding in Thailand. Second, you need to schedule an appointment. Please dial +66 (0) 2 677 7360, or send an email to Finally, you shall present the following documents at the Consular Section:

  1. the original certificate of capacity to contract marriage from the municipality of your legal residence (in Luxembourg or in Europe);
  2. your current passport;
  3. a certificate of your legal residence (in Luxembourg or in another country);
  4. a proof of monthly or yearly income(s);
  5. a certificate of divorce if relevant;
  6. surnames and given names of your children if relevant;
  7. surnames and given names of your parents;
  8. surnames, given names and addresses of two persons of reference living in your country of residence (no documents needed);
  9. personal data of your Thai future spouse (full name and address in English), and a copy of her passport;
  10. a copy of your Luxembourg passport (to issue a Certified True Copy by the Consular Section of the Embassy. You need to have the document translated into Thai, then legalized by the Thai authorities afterwards).

On the basis of these documents, the Embassy will issue a free new document into English to the Thai authorities. You may need to have the document translated into Thai, then the original and the translation legalized by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to comply with the procedure of the Thai municipality where the wedding will take place. Please contact the Thai municipality in advance for the exact procedure. To legalize your documents, please see the address below:


Legalization Division
Department of Consular Affairs
Ministry of Foreign Affairs

123 Chaeng Watthana Rd, 3rd Floor
Bangkok 10210
Tel: 02 575 1056-9 / Fax: 02 575 1054
Service hours: Mon-Fri 08.30 - 14.30 hrs



Applicants who wish to legalize Thai documents can apply for a legalization service at the Legalization Office (MRT) Khlong Toei station as follows:

Type of services Operating hours Queue-online Document received / Service fee
Regular services 08.30 - 15.30 in the next 2 working days / THB 200 per stamp
Express services 08.30 - 09.30 at 14.30 until 16.30 on the same day of the application / THB 400 per stamp

Recognition of marriage in Luxembourg


It is strongly recommended to have your marriage recognized by the Luxembourgian authorities. All Thai documents not in English must be translated only by a sworn translator recognized by the Embassy then legalized at the Consular Section. Otherwise, the translations may be rejected by the Luxembourgian authorities.
If you don't have your legal residence in Luxembourg, you shall contact the relevant Embassy in Bangkok regarding the appropriate legal process.