Advanced search

Bangkok > Visa to Luxembourg > Short stay visa > Family members of an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen >

Family members of an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen

You shall apply for this visa if:

-    you are a family member of an European Union (EU) citizen, an European Economic Area (EEA) citizen or a Swiss citizen;

   and if that EU/EEA/Swiss citizen is travelling to or is residing in any Member State of the Schengen Area;

-    and if you are accompanying that EU/EEA citizen or planning to join him/her in the Schengen Area.

EU citizens are nationals of an EU Member State, namely: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

The European Economic Area includes all EU countries, but also Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

You are considered as a family member of an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen if you are:

  • the spouse;
  • the registered partner;
  • the direct descendants (son or daughter) of the EU citizen or their spouse/partner if you are under 21 or under their care;
  • the direct ascendants (father or mother) if you are under the care of the EU citizen or their spouse/partner;
  • any other family member in case that:
    • in your country of origin, you are under the care or are a member of the household of the EU citizen who enjoys the right to reside in your country; or
    • the EU citizen is legally bound to take care of you due to serious health problems;
  • the non-registered partner (free union) with whom the EU citizen has a duly demonstrated long-term relationship. These partners cannot be linked to another person through marriage, declared partnership or long-term relationship. The long-term nature of the relationship is assessed according to how strong, long-lasting and stable the links between the partners are in concrete terms:
    • an uninterrupted legal cohabitation lasting since at least a year before the request;
    • a common child for whom they share parental responsibility.
Size photographs for visa   Electronic Application Form (PDF)

Photo format visa


You will need to show proof that you meet the above criteria when you submit your visa application. Furthermore, following documents need to be provided:

  • one recent passport size photograph in color taken against a plain cream, light blue or light grey background. The photo should be neither pasted nor stapled;
  • national passport valid for at least 3 months after the intended date of departure from the Schengen Area (however, in a justified case of emergency this obligation may be waived). Furthermore, the passport must have been issued within the previous 10 years and shall contain at least 2 blank pages + 1 copy of the data page of the passport;
  • minors less than 18 years of age, if traveling alone, have to provide a written consent certified by a public notary of both parents (or legal guardians) having actual custody of the minor. If traveling with one parent only, a written consent certified by a public notary of the other parent is required. If one parent has sole custody, a Court Order bestowing this state of affairs must be submitted. These documents must be legalized by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs first, and finally translated by a sworn translator.