You must be in possession of a valid national travel document for all foreign travel
Within the European Union you can travel with a valid national identity card or valid national passport respectively.
When travelling outside the European Union possession of a valid national passport and, in certain circumstances, a valid national passport with visa is required or strongly recommended.
Travel documents accepted by Schengen member countries
The European Commission maintains the list of travel documents recognised by the Schengen member countries authorising its bearer to cross external borders and which may be furnished with a visa on its Schengen, Borders & Visas page:
- Travel documents issued by third countries and territorial entities (Part I)
- Travel documents issued by Member States (Part II)
- Travel documents issued by international organisations and other entities subject to international law (Part III)
Information for communities, schools and teachers organising school trips. This list is not exhaustive, but addresses the two most commonly asked questions:
- Taking part in a school trip as a young applicant for international protection
- School trips to the United Kingdom
This information is provided with caveats. To confirm the visa requirement or passport validity period, please consult the destination country embassy’s official website.
This information can be obtained from these countries’ diplomatic or consular representations. Most of these representations are located in Brussels. The timescales for obtaining a visa vary considerably. For certain countries it may take more than a month.